Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Westin Vs. The Sheraton

So for the past week, I've been in the middle of a huge dilemma. I guess this is the first of many to come, since I have to research and be involved in EVERY detail of my wedding-planning....and I don't like to say no and hurt the poor little vendors' feelings.

I called The Sheraton up one night to ask about their rates for a room block next June. I talked to the sales manager for awhile, his name is Ryan and he was really nice. We negotiated what seemed like an unbelievable deal- $199 for a garden view room and $215 for partial ocean view and a free upgrade for me and my mom's rooms. He also dropped the $25/day resort fee to $15/day. I hung up really excited and it was set in my mind that I would sign the proposal when he sent it to me.

Then The Westin Villas and The Westin sent me proposals. They are owned by the same company- Starwood properties. The Westin was offering rooms for $189 and $229, with a reduced resort fee of $10/day AND an awesome upgrade to one of their nicest suites for me and ocean view for my mom.

The Villas were a bit more, but I quickly disqualified them because I don't want my mom's side of the family to feel like they need to cook and do laundry in their condo while we're there, supposed to be enjoying a relaxing vacation.

So Ryan and I seriously went over both of our remaining proposals and looked at their websites. We listed the pros and cons. The Sheraton has the best beach in Maui. The Westin has "Heavenly Cloud" beds. We finally ended up deciding on The Westin.....but then Sheraton Ryan called me last night. He asked me what I thought about the proposal, and I told him I was still unsure. He asked me what he needed to do to win my business....so I told him the rates and upgrades that The Westin was offering us. He said that not only would he match their rates, he would upgrade EVERYONE'S room to a partial ocean view for $185! And give us one of their best suites as an upgrade!

Now I seriously don't know what to do....I guess it's a good problem, that these hotels are going back and forth but I really have a hard time letting someone down and Sheraton Ryan has been soooo great to me. I still might be leaning towards the Westin though. They called to see what I thought too, and ended up lowering their third person charge from $75 to $50.

Gah.

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

oh man! what great deals. like you said, this is a good problem to have, but i understand feeling bad choosing one and having to tell the other no.just remember, you are never going to see whomever it is that you have to turn down. it will still be hard, but as long as you're kind and polite, it will be okay.

i watched the bachelorette today to see the hotels you were talking about. how fun they were featured! AND i haven't seen an entire episode all season, but now i'm hooked and will have to watch the finale. haha

Jenny said...

I still haven't watched the episode, but I really want to now!!

ok, so I was voting the Westin (probably because of their "heavenly beds", haha) BUT the deal that "Sheraton Ryan" is giving you sounds pretty fantastic. Especially if you say that it has the best beach... just my opinion!

BUT - they must both be pretty amazing if they were BOTH featured on the Bachelorette - that is crazy!! Soooo either way you win. I know... that does not help. ;)

now go look at my BLOG!!! I need your feedback about my dang scrapbook pages!!! :D

Jenny @ jennycollier.com said...

you won't regret staying at the westin. it's were my sis-in-law was married. the hotel was amazing.