Thursday, August 5, 2010

Goodbye, Kurys Lineage

It's official- I went to the Social Security office today to change my name.

I hate that my dad has nobody now to pass down the Kurys name. I seriously considered keeping my maiden name or hyphenating, but in the end I didn't want to deal with the mis-spellings and confusion.

It's like the end of the line. My grandma's parents died in the war, she was raised in an orphanage with no siblings and she moved to Canada to marry. After my dad turned 8, his dad died of a heart attack. I don't know anything about him, our family history is a mystery! So it's been just my dad and my grandma....and when my sister got married, I was the last. Until now.

I think the Kurys name probably lives on over in Poland through distant relatives....I'll probably never know!

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

Aww this makes me a little sad ...