I'm on a 6 hour conference call (yes, I'm not making that up. Although to be fair, I think we are breaking for lunch and I'm taking a SUPER long lunch). I figured, what better time than now to update the neglected blog!
Last month passed in the blink of an eye. We finally closed on our first home on November 12th. It was a huge headache, and at the last second the loan company had to take Ryan off all the paperwork because we didn't receive some documents from Sallie Mae in time. They were to prove that he can defer his student loan payments from medical school for a few years until he starts making more money. So, now I'm the only one on the mortgage, and I was the only one signing everything when we closed. I think Ryan's ego took a little blow and he was not happy about it, but we wanted to move in without more delays and they convinced us it didn't matter. If we would have waited for Ryan's paperwork to go through, Jeff Click Homes said they didn't have any openings until December to do the walk-through and do all the closing stuff. I told Ryan he better be really nice to me since I own our house now, and he told me I better be really nice to him since I have a XXX,XXX loan hanging over my head. Haha!
The loan company bought us pizza and soda that night, and I bought champagne. We had our friends, Josh and Jana over to the old house to celebrate. My original plan was to spend our first night in the new house the day we closed, but it was so late by the time we were done at the loan office and it was cold and rainy....we never did have that romantic night alone. Ryan ended up spending the first night there by himself while I was on a business trip in Memphis.
Since the day we closed, we have slowly been moving in. I tell everyone, I will never do this again. Next time, it's U-Haul and ONE moving day. All the way. Last night was the first time I got serious and unpacked a lot of the boxes that have been sitting around everywhere. It's still a state of complete chaos over there, but I haven't had enough time to get everything situated. Jenny is coming to visit for the weekend (YAY!!!) so in between the U.C. shift tonight and the AEP Christmas party tomorrow night, I'm hoping to get some more put away before Friday evening.
I'm so excited that she'll be here, we have all kinds of fun plans! We're going to go eat at Upper Crust, see a matinee, go to a Christmas party at Abby and Daton's house, go Christmas shopping and she'll finally see the house. :) I will also have a fun update after all of that to post next week.
Since we left most of the furniture behind (it was either old and didn't match the feel of our new house, or it was Ryan's mom's stuff), we have a lot to buy. We started with a bedroom suite that we got a pretty good deal on from Suburban Contemporary Furniture. We love that store, it's got lots of cool, modern pieces, but everything is so expensive. I saw on the store's Facebook site that they had an italian dark wood bedroom suite that had been discontinued, and they were offering a pretty good price for it, AND it was a king-sized bed like we had been wanting. We bought that, and while we were in the store I fell in love with this linen colored leather couch. It is amazing, and I don't want anything else. The price is ridiculous, but I've been hoping it goes on sale.....I will wait until it does!
We bought a front-loading washer and dryer set. It took awhile before we found one that was the right price, but Ryan found a great deal on Veteran's Day at Home Depot. When it was time to deliver them, they called us to say the dryer had been damaged in the warehouse and did we still want it? I was so upset, because I wanted a brand new, pretty set. Ryan talked me into accepting it, it has a big crack in the plastic on the door and paint scratched off the front. It still works fine though, and we ended up getting an extra $250 off for the damage.
And finally, we bought a stainless steel french door fridge! It is massive, and it has a freezer on the bottom. Which is actually pretty cool, because now the fridge shelves are really long and hold tons of stuff. We can stick pizza boxes in there, no problem. It's beautiful and I'm really happy with it.
So, a quick update on the work situation- we lost the Regional Food Bank as a client, and I have to say that I am THRILLED. I hated working with their marketing manager. She's my age, and she's the bossiest, most obnoxious person I have ever met and it's a long story, but she tried to get me kicked off the account a year ago. I have loathed her ever since. But that means the situation at the office isn't the greatest. The same day we lost that account, the client we share office space with informed us that we needed to be out by the end of January. They said another company is coming in, and they don't have space for us anymore.
No local clients (except the mayor) and no office makes for a negative atmosphere around here lately. I applied for a job with the OKC Thunder and my fingers are crossed that I get a call for an interview. It's a PR/Marketing position and I would be working with one of my old friends from college, Vicki Guerra. She has the position right now, but I think she's getting a promotion. How cool would it be to work for the NBA? I think the pay would be good enough to where I could quit the restaurant job too.
That's all for now!
2 comments:
Yayyyy for a new post! I actually read this before I came to visit, but didn't have a chance to comment then. Had a great time as always, and I love love LOVE your house!! Hope you sold your couch set, and that your coveted one goes on sale soon! Love you friend!!
Yay! A new post! It has been far too long, my friend. And I'm anxiously awaiting the promised post of all the fun you and Jenny had on her visit. I'm sorry things are crappy on the office front again. That really sucks. I hope you get an interview for the NBA though. Very cool position. Miss you bunches!
Post a Comment