Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Are Those....Tornado Sirens?

Tornadoes yesterday were exciting....I didn't do any work all afternoon, we just watched the news online and listened to the radio as we ran back and forth from windows back to chair. I love the rush when the sirens go off and like to feel kind of scared.

I have had two VERY close calls with tornadoes in the past two years- once when I was driving home to Ardmore from Denison and the sky turned black. It started to rain so hard I couldn't see out of my window and so I pulled over in Gainesville. All of a sudden I could hear the tornado sirens going off and my car started rocking from the wind. With no visibility, I suddenly became terrified and called my mom screaming and crying because I was preparing to have my car picked up by the tornado with me inside.....eventually it passed, but I gave my mom a heart attack. The next day, I found out the tornado had touched down less than a mile from my car, on the other side of the interstate!!!!!

Then last summer I was at my office up near Quail Springs and the weather guys kept saying all day that the chance of tornadoes were likely. Well, sure enough, around 4pm the storms picked up and the sirens started going off. We turned on the TV, only to hear the storm chaser say that a tornado had touched down at Wiley Post Airport...a few miles down the street from my office. We all ran to our cars and started driving to the mall, but I could see the sky swirling over my car and I was praying for my life as I ran from my parking spot to the front doors, where I was immediately directed to the basement of Macy's. Scary.

Anyways, when I heard that a "large, violent" tornado had touched down yesterday right outside of Ardmore...I texted Meredith (the reporter who replaced me at KTEN) and told her to run! She was hiding in a cellar. Then later I heard that 3 people had died in Lone Grove, which is pretty much Ardmore. This morning they said the death total could be more like 15. Whoah. I wish I could skip work today and go help Meredith with coverage, I used to live for stuff like this. To be out there with all of the national TV reporters, doing stand-ups and being the top story in every newscast- I feel it calling to me.

No comments: