Monday, March 23, 2009

Weekend Review

Friday- My friend Mallory was house-sitting for my boss' best friend, so I met her over at the house after work. We didn't have any plans, so we decided to drive around the Paseo Arts District and stop wherever looked interesting. We wanted to have dinner, so I drove us to Cheever's Cafe because it's a unique local spot I keep hearing about. From the outside, it doesn't look like anything special, but when we went inside it was so fancy! We quickly realized the food was out of our price range, so we told the waitress we were waiting on friends and would be back later.

We got back in the car and I turned on my Garmin and typed in "restaurants" to see what else was around. We saw a place called "Funk's Kitchen," and started laughing...we decided to go there next. We got close to the coordinates and didn't see Funk's Kitchen...but there was a shady looking Chinese place called "Fung's Kitchen!" Nice work, Garmin. It did NOT look appetizing, so we were off again in search of food.

Third time's a charm because we drove by the massive gold dome right up the street and Mallory saw a sign that said "Prohibition Room." There was an old car show outside, with a live band. I remembered Ryan talking about the Prohibition Room before, so we went inside to check it out. It was a giant wide-open building that looked vacant besides the restaurant. There was nothing spectacular about it, but the host was charming and won us over after he showed us the huge drink menu and his 3-year old son crawled up to us on all fours, barking like a dog. We stayed and had dinner (Chicago dog and a $12 bottle of wine, the special of the night! Fantastic!)

An hour later, we were off to Cuppies and Joe so that Mallory could check it out. She bought an Oreo sugar cookie, but I decided not to get anything because I was so full from dinner. We still didn't have a plan for the rest of the evening, so we just got back in the car and turned up the music....that led to discussions about visiting one of the dance clubs in Bricktown but we were both without our men and didn't feel like enduring all of the creepy advances that were inevitable. Mal's boyfriend Patrick was at the Thunder game with Rob at the Ford Center and it was getting ready to let out, so we started calling them to see if they would meet us for drinks somewhere. We ended up at TapWerks, and sat at the bar. I heard my name, and looked up to see my friend Lindy working behind the bar! She gave us t-shirts, Heineken glasses and a blinking Heineken sticker for our shirts (classy, I know) and then used a wet towel to tattoo us with a Heineken symbol. I guess they were having a promotion? Patrick and Rob showed up, and we had a blast until Rob had to leave to get home. I made friends with some crazy old guys who were in the city trying to sell art...I think they were from England and France? Patrick made friends with another guy also named Patrick....and before too long, it was time to leave, before the designated driver had to call a taxi!

Saturday- I was dying to go buy Twilight!! Ryan came home after lunch (he had been in Shawnee the night before to help his mom fix her computer, and they ended up at the casino so he spent the night.) He asked me if I wanted my 5-year anniversary present, but it's not until this Friday....so I said, no! I wanted to wait so I would have a surprise on the actual day! But he kept insisting, so we got in his car and he drove us to Best Buy. I had no idea what he thought I would like there....when we got inside, he led me to the aisle with the Wii games and told me to pick out my favorite game to go along with my new Wii!!! I was kind of in shock, I didn't believe him for awhile. Turns out he did pretty good at the casino the night before, and wanted me to have something to keep me busy while he was on his computer. So I grabbed the last Mario Kart and we picked out the system, along with an extra controller and battery charger. I also bought Twilight while we were there, so I was giddy on the way back home!! We played Mario Kart for a few hours, then cooked dinner and started getting ready to go to the movies with Sean and Jamie. Sean called at the last minute and said they weren't going to be able to make it, so I asked Ryan if he would watch Twilight instead. He agreed! Hahaha. He fell asleep halfway through it, so I paused it and we watched the rest on Sunday (which was uneventful). And this post is way too long, so I will leave Sunday out.

Back to work. I hate Mondays.

2 comments:

Rhiannon said...

a post can NEVER be too long! i never get enough. :)

The Hurst Family said...

Ha, it always seem so long until I actually post it!