Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dash the Dachshund

A few months back, Ryan had FINALLY agreed that the timing was right to get a dog! I did tons of searching, we checked out a few short-haired dachshund litters, and were even close to buying one. But when the deal fell through, I went back to looking. I contacted an aquaintance that I know through mutual friends because I had seen Facebook pictures of her dog. It was a long-haired English Cream dachshund and it was the cutest dog I had ever seen. They are a really rare breed though, and apparently there are no breeders in OK or surrounding states. Finally I found a breeder in NC who had a puppy almost available. He was adorable!!!!

So after the Vegas trip, on May 5, I picked up our first family puppy from the airport. He flew all the way from North Carolina to be with us! We had so many fights about naming him, and actually decided on Fendi the night before I picked him up. Then, when I picked him up, the airport tag on his kennel said DASH. Ryan saw it, and said, "Hey....how about Dash?" Perfect.

Here are a few pictures of his first day home. He was three months old:

Dash and his squirrel











He has grown a ton over the past three months. He recently has become a TON better about not having accidents in the house. The first 2.5 months were hell, and I cleaned up 4-8 messes every day. Luckily, working from home, he has never been crated for very long by himself. He's so spoiled! He sleeps in his crate at night, and loves to cuddle in the morning. Having a puppy has been the best thing ever, I feel like a hole has finally been filled. Having a cat and a dog keeps me so busy, I don't know how people find time for their kids! Ha.

Some growing up pics:

Dash his first time at the vet. He weighed 4.5 lbs!!



His sad face in his crate while I'm across the room trying to get some work done.





One of my favorites!



Ash and the fur kids.





Graduating from Petsmart puppy class!



Dash today (almost six months old):

2 comments:

Rhiannon said...

sweet dash. he needs to be conor and oli.

Jenny said...

your pictures of Dash are all SO SO cute!!!! Now I need to come visit him in his own element so he will be friends with me :)